The bandeau: baby sister of the crop, cousin of the bikini. Bandeaus are all over the fashion scene this season from swimsuits to bras to actual, legitimate tops. We love it! Bandeaus truly run the style gamut from sporty to sexy, so no matter your aesthetic, this is likely a trend that has a place in your closet. Read on for styling tips, outfit inspiration, and buyable goodness!
Tips for Wearing & Rocking The Bandeau Top!
- Size is essential. There’s literally nothing worse for this trend than picking an ill-fitting bandeau. Too tight and you’re spilling out everywhere, too loose and you’re yanking it up every five seconds, or worse, the thing is falling down. If you’re new to this trend, it’s a good idea to buy your first bandeau in person so you can get an idea of your size. And, since bandeaus can be sized by cup like bras or alphabetically like clothing, finding your ideal fit can be a bit of a chore. Once you’ve got that down, though, you’re golden!
- Choose your level of coverage. Like their siblings the crop top, bandeaus come in a variety of lengths from minimal (the ace-bandage bandeau) to maximum (the full-on bustier top). If you’re shorter waisted, mini bandeau styles will be ultra-flattering, while girls with long torsos may prefer a longer length top. Regardless of your body proportions, you can play with coverage not only with your bandeau, but also with your bottoms: high waists offer the opportunity to showcase a sliver of stomach, while lower waisted pieces highlight toned abs. Show as much or as little as you desire!
- Dress for your environment. Though bandeaus can seem rather polarizing in terms of wearability, there’s actually a wide breath of variety within the limited depth of the style. A lace bandeau, for example, works as a bra under a loose-fitting tank. A printed bandeau with center rouching tends to be a fairly casual stand-alone item. A bandeau top with an oversized bow adds an unexpected touch of feminine flirtatiouness to any summer look. Lounging. Shopping. Brunching. Beandeau. Plus, if you’ve somehow managed to miss the bandeau bikini craze of the last few years, there are tons of new summer swimsuit options for you to navigate. Consider your environment and then pick the bandeau top that fits your style.
- Oversized Bow Bandeau @GoJane
- Havana Cabana Bandeau Top @LuLu’s
- Assorted Bandeau Swim Tops @American Apparel
- Sweetheart Bandeau Top @Forever 21
- PilyQ Eyelet Bandeau Bikini Top @Bloomingdales
- Free People Galloon Lace Bandeau @Nordstrom
- Bandeau Bodysuit @Asos
- Tees by Tina Aztec Printed Bandeau @Designs by Stephene
Would you rock a bandeau top? Which of these styles are your favorites? Any tips for buying, wearing, or rocking a bandeau to share? If so, do so below with a comment!
Liza, Editorial Director