Birthday alert! Everyone’s favorite twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, turned 27 today! That means they’ve rocked it out for almost three stylish decades and we’re all officially getting old. Can you believe it? It seems like just yesterday I was reading their New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley series and begging my parents to rent me Billboard Dad from Blockbuster!
Fashion and pop-culture sites around the net are celebrating the twins’ (double?) b-day, but this special report on the best-of-the-best of the Olsen’s filmography from Refinery 29 has to be my personal fave. In similar celebratory tribute, I’ve compiled my own list of all things MK & A–the top 5 best things the girls have ever done…in no particular order 😉
Listed: Top 5 All-Things Mary-Kate and Ashley
- How The West Was Fun. How The West Was Fun mayyyy just be my favorite Olsen Twin movie of all time, but it’s mostly because of Martin Mull. I mean, come on. The man played a character named Bart Gafooley–the villain, naturally–who attempted to trick his aging mother into selling her world-famous dude ranch so he could build a theme park named Gafooley Land. The girls were totally adorable and in their Full House prime at this point, too, but honestly they’re really only an afterthought with a plot like that. If you haven’t seen it, it’s on YouTube.
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Magazine. (Pictured above) How does no one remember the greatness that was the MK & A magazine?!? I totally subscribed, and devoured every issue. Both Mary-Kate and Ashley were even oh-so-officially listed as Editors-in-Chief on the masthead, and I’m pretty sure they were only 15 at the time! I’m not sure if there were more than three published issues, but I was beyond obsessed with that magazine. It had articles about all of the hottest pop stars (umm, Mandy Moore and Eden’s Crush, duh), plus style recommendations like “get a fingernail piercing!” But actually–that was in there. I’ll never forget it
- Elizabeth and James. Mary-Kate and Ashley have been designing successful clothing lines since their collaboration with Kmart back in the day, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that one of their collections made this list! The girls’ mid-range offering (sandwiched between luxury collection The Row and diffusion line Olsenboye), Elizabeth and James is contemporary clothing line designed for the stylish city girl with a romantic heart. With celebrity and real girl fans galore, cornerstones of E&J style includes perfectly-tailored blazers, flirty ruffled tops, relaxed oversized silhouettes, and amazing shoes.
- So Little Time. Taking some time off after their TGIF smash hit “Two of a Kind” of the mid 90s, the twins came back with ABC Family gem “So Little Time”. As per usual, Mary-Kate and Ashley played super-stylish twins with ultra-trendy names–this time Riley and Chloe, respectively–living average-but-funnier lives. Much of the plot focused on the trials of high school, dating mishaps, and the girls’ male nanny, Manuelo. The show only ran for 22 episodes, which was a total bummer because it was awesome when I was 12.
- Their signature TWIN style. Obvi. Though Mary-Kate and Ashley have gone through some fashion phases that might have been considered weird or bag lady-ish, the twins never went through a wild, trashy, hot mess phase like many of their 90s child-star counterparts. More importantly, we can thank the ever-stylish blonde duo for their part in popularizing some of our favorite trends: big sunglasses, oversized handbags, and 24/7 beach hair/bed head. Their interesting and unique sense of personal style keeps us coming back to see their looks from the red carpet and to check out their collections’ latest offerings.
What’s your favorite Olsen moment? Reminisce in the comments below! And, of course, Happy Birthday, gorgeous girls!
Liza, Editorial Director