Over at xoJane—only one of my favorite sites for snark and culture commentary–Editorial Assistant Olivia is hosting an open thread on arbitrary fashion rules. The premise: In a comment for all to see, list your “rules” as they apply to fashion, apparel, and personal style. This concept is totally dope not only because it allows you to make a list (seriously, who doesn’t love to do that?!) but it also gives you the opportunity to get the inside scoop on the fashion philosophies of your peers and/or internet randos. It’s great.
…So I’m piggybacking on it here at Mieux & Mieux. Here are a few of my arbitrary, totally random, completely personal, and oft-changing fashion rules:
- Avoid socks at all costs, unless they’re over-the-knee/boot socks/leg warmers. Or, you know, tights.
- Always always always try “weird” clothing on. If it’s super odd/ugly but could be cute, it’s worth a trip to the fitting room.
- If it’s rainy, snowy, slushy, or otherwise disgusting, wear boots. Unless it’s late April–then it’s time to bust out the flats on sheer principle.
- No athletic shoes outside of the gym.
- Always push up the sleeves on every long-sleeved thing, ever. (Except parkas)
- Leggings are only pants when I want them to be.
What are your arbitrary fashion rules?! Let’s compare! Leave a law or two (or ten, go crazy!) below! And of course, make sure to check out the thread that inspired this post over on xoJane 😉
Liza, Editorial Director