Disclaimer: I’m not sure if deodorant actually qualifies as a beauty product, but we’re going to classify it as one for the sake of this post!
I’m one of those girls who has a particular affinity for vanilla-scented products. We’re talking shower gel, lotions, fragrances, everything. If it’s vaguely vanilla, I want it. My secret weapon for attracting dudes at the bar (and at the mall/at school/in the streets of foreign countries), for example, used to be Pink Sugar hair perfume. Sometimes I just want to smell like a gigantic cupcake, ice cream cone, or cotton candy pouf. It’s whatever. Casual. Since I’m a kiiind of a connoisseur of all things vanilla, I was totally all over LAVANILA – a company that makes deliciously scented, healthy beauty products. The idea is that all of LAVANILA’s cosmetics are made from natural and organic materials, infused with vitamins and minerals, and free of chemicals. And yes, as their name implies, all of their fragrances are vanilla based! Each of their fragrances and all of their products are built around vanilla as the primary note and #1 ingredient.
LAVANILA’s perfumes are all fabulous–my favorites are Vanilla Grapefruit and Pure Vanilla–but I’d already done the vanilla perfume thing a million times! I wanted a totally new vanilla-something to add to my ever-growing collection. And then I saw it: LAVANILA “The Healthy Deodorant“. Curious! LAVANILA bills the stuff as a “natural answer to your underarm discomfort”–it’s 100% natural, paraben-free, and At the time of purchase, my local Sephora had only the Vanilla Lavender, Vanilla Coconut, and the Vanilla Grapefruit varieties (more are available online!) and the cost-per-stick was a whopping $18. After taking a whiff of each and every one, however, I knew I HAD to have one. I settled on the Vanilla Coconut, only it didn’t really smell like vanilla or coconut at all…It kinda smelled like vanilla ice cream. Love!
The Fine Print…
- The Healthy Deodorant is clinical-strength, dermatologist-recommended, non-irritating, allergy-tested deodorant.
- The formula used something called “beta-glucan technology” to fight odor while simultaneously soothing and conditioning the skin. LAVANILA says The Healthy Deodorant “goes on clean and delivers long-lasting, luxurious results.”
- It comes in a wide variety of vanilla-based fragrances including Pure Vanilla, Vanilla Blackberry, Vanilla Lavender, Vanilla Coconut, Vanilla Lemon, Vanilla Grapefruit, and Vanilla Passionfruit.
- It’s formulated without: Sulfates, synthetic dyes, petro-chemicals, phthalates, and parabens. It’s also free of aluminum and mineral oils.
- Sephora offers the best-selling varieties of The Healthy Deodorant in both a regular 2oz size and a .90oz travel size. The regular size has a “fresh new price” of $14–aka $4 less than I originally paid!
My experience? Simply put, The Healthy Deodorant is unlike any deodorant I’ve used, and that’s not just because of it’s luxury-beauty-product price tag! First and foremost, it’s not an antiperspirant, so unless you layer it with another product, you’re probably going to have a little bit of wetness. But OMG IT SMELLS SO GOOD! Seriously, you’ll want to be smelling your armpits all day like a freak. As far as The Healthy Deodorant’s ability to actually deodorize? It’s pretty decent. Your funky scent is masked and the deodorant somehow keeps its fresh, clean, natural fragrance. Though it won’t last 24-hours, The Healthy Deodorant is a great product for every day, run-of-the-mill activities. If you’re spending extra time in the gym, going on a first date, or have an important interview, though, you’re either going to want to go for a traditional deodorant/antiperspirant or reapply The Healthy Deodorant…a lot. Regardless, it smells phenomenal and is chemical-free and healthy, so I’m not complaining. Totally worth the investment.
Are you a vanilla girl? What are your favorite scented products? Would you shell out $14 for deo? Leave me a note! I’m dying to know what you think!
Liza, Editorial Director