Thrifting has been around before rapper Macklemore and Ryan Lewis made it cool. It’s more than just the hipster thing to do, it’s style recycled. Thrift stores, resale stores, consignment shops, and vintage boutiques are all essentially the same idea; you pay less for gently used items. To be honest, initially I was repulsed by the idea of rummaging through tattered junk, only to find something cheap, used, and unhygienic. I liked the shiny floors of Nordstrom’s, the spacey layout of Saks. I liked all things organized, clean, and pristine—still do. I did not like, however, paying my life away on things I am sure I could have found cheaper. I get such a thrill finding things I love at an affordable price, because I am that person that overpays for convenience a majority of the time. I do not like lines, or crowds, or clutter, which is why Mieux & Mieux is so fabulous. The store is clean, organized, and totally not overwhelming. Plus the quality and high-end pieces they carry in great condition for so much less is amazing. Shopping is meditation for me at times, but thrifting is definitely an adventure.
Here are my top 5 rules for thrifting:
1. Do not go thrifting unless you are willing to waste time on occasion. Sometimes you will find everything, other times absolutely nothing.
2. Be smart about how you spend on resale items because they are used. Know the value of what you are getting, but it is also safe to splurge because you know the price is not completely retail.
3. Do not be a hoarder. This is just a rule-of-thumb even when regular shopping. Do not buy without knowing what you need or absolutely want. Also, strive to get versatile pieces.
4. Engage in the whole experience. For example, take your old clothes and sell them to these resale/consignment shop first. This way you have a better idea of what is in your closet. Then spend only with the money you get back. Fair trade.
5. Always, always, always wash or clean your purchases thoroughly because you never know where that stuff has been.
Now, here are my top 5 places to thrift in Dallas:
1. Mieux & Mieux (obvi)
2. Dot’s Closet
3. Lula B’s
4. Dolly Python
Thrift on ladies, and definitely check out our online inventor of great vintage-style pieces!
Rida Islam, Fashion Editor