Fashion has a way of celebrating diversity, dancing in extremes, and embracing all that is unique. Growing up in an Indian household surrounded by a strong emphasis on culture, I understood that there were just certain things you could and could not wear. Modesty is not just a religious or cultural idea, but a personal preference in the way you carry yourself. So let’s make it clear:
You do not have to bare all to dress well.
Here are some tips for the modest Mieux:
- Layering is your best friend. Try oversized button-downs instead of cardigans.
- The summers can be rough, so opt for chiffon, linen, or other light fabrics, even for tights and leggings
- Think outside of just throwing black tights under everything. Maxi skirts are everywhere and you can find cheap ones in every color at places like Forever 21, GoJane, and eBay.
- If you wear a scarf, don’t always match it to the outfit. Use it as an accessory to colorblock or find some in funky animal prints. Bold colors are always a way to express yourself.
- Dresses for prom or homecoming can be quite a challenge since most are strapless. Why not make a statement and thrift a retro dress with poofy sleeves? Or design your own!
- Blazer, blazers, blazers.
- Long cardigans are great even for the not-so-modest Mieux. Invest in some good quality cardigans with awesome fabric and just get basic neutrals.
- Sheer tights are really stepping up their game with various cute details and prints. Urban Outfitters usually has a special on their tights!
- Since pants are what you’ll wear mostly, experiment. Try skinnies, flares, palazzos, harlem pants, everything! Trendy leather pants and colored jeans are all great to have on deck. My summer staple is a good high-waisted white linen pant, so comfy!
- There’s no reason to compromise when being modest. Focus on the right accessories, nails, makeup, and shoes and make sure it fits your look. Go edgy, go boho, go classic.
You don’t have to look like a granny to achieve a modest look. If you need help, here are some cute clothes available at Mieux&Mieux that are pocket-friendly, stylish, and covered!
Rida, Fashion Editor